Saturday, February 11, 2012

Our First Visitor!!!

It's been a while since our last (and first) blog, I'm starting to think I kind of suck at finding the time for this whole blogging thing :)

For the first few weeks of January, we struggled and struggled some more. I guess I didn't realize moving across country with two little boys was going to be so difficult.. DUH! But, in my defense, I've never moved more than a mile away from my childhood home.  Well, either way, it has been a little on the tough side trying to adjust to a new City/State, new weather (although I am loving the snow - maybe because we haven't had much yet) and a new school. 

But, just as I started to lose sight of why we came here.. my mom arrived :) Funny how just being around the people you love can make such a difference in your mood! My mom was here for a little over a week and we crammed that time in with as much fun stuff as we possibly could.  We spent four days in the City seeing Times Square (the M&M's shop is awesome), FAO Schwartz (I think we spent more time in there than anywhere else and had more fun there than all the other sites combined.. and that includes us adults). We also took the ferry to Staten Island and got a great view of Lady Liberty and went to the 911 memorial. (It was such a struggle deciding how much to share with Connor about the terrorist attacks - we wanted him to understand what he was seeing - partially so he would understand why he couldn't just run around like his crazy silly self but also because we want him to understand how important it is to know Christ to be able to find peace in the midst of a fallen world). We also went to Rockefeller Center (We didn't iceskate this time but Connor and I will be taking a mommy/son day there soon to go iceskating... can't wait to surprise him with it!) We spent the rest of our time exploring our little area and enjoying deeper conversations than I think my mom and I have ever had. All in all, it was a great trip and we were incredibly sad to see Babette (that's what the grandkids call her) go. And, we are already planning her next visit ;)

We are continuing to learn so much about ourselves.. Our faith in the Lord is continuing to be tested, and we are learning to wait patiently for him to show us his plan. The verse that keeps coming to my mind is "Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10. Sounds like such an easy instruction but for someone like me who needs to have a plan and to be in control of that plan, its not! (But, I'm working on it :)) We are learning to be less hard on Connor - it is unbelievable how hard he is on himself - he gets that from him mommy- poor guy - so we are trying to adjust our parenting with him (Any thoughts/ideas from other moms on how to discipline a child who more than disciplines himself would be greatly appreciated!).  We are constantly discovering just how full of life Seth is and just so smart!  I am consantly being reminded of how lucky I am to be David's wife.. he really just couldn't be a better man! And, we are learning to really rely on each other (God of course too). Being without extended family really forces you to do just that.. And, I actually LOVE it and LOVE what God is doing in our marriage!

Til next time, thank you for being a part of this journey with us! Even miles away, it is incredible how much encouragement we have received from our friends and family (We have been so amazed at the many fun packages that have been sent for us and the boys! Connor's favorite thing to do now is to check the mail). We couldn't feel more blessed to have such amazing friends...

"No lapse of time or distance of place can lessen the friendship of those who are truly persuaded of each other's worth." - Unknown.

Love,

The Callaways 



911 Memorial


M&M Shop in Times Square



Feeding the Ducks at the Park


The Staten Island Ferry

Rockefeller Center

The day Babette left we got just enough snow to play in!
Come back soon Mom! We miss you already!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awww Katie! Love reading about your journey. Glad you got to visit your Mom! Keep relying on the Lord- it's amazing how loud his voice gets when our distractions (even good ones like outside family members & friends) are minimal. Keep blogging! (I'm still trying to keep up with it too haha)
    xo
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete